Tuesday, March 3, 2009

American Heritage History Magazines

I have come across 4 or 5 crates of the American Heritage history magazines by now. The oldest issues are from 1958. To me they are more than a magazine because they came in hard cover. I sort of allowed them to take up my afternoon when I brought them out of storage and started looking at them. The first ones I found were from 1968. I said to myself "you were only 7 years old when these came out." And then I started reading the articles and looking at the pictures. They were intended to be great stories and pictures of American History (and they are.) But now they are two types of history because of the way they were written back in the 50's and 60's. It's because the writing style and the words used in some instances back then would be considered politically incorrect today. They take me back to ways I was taught when I was a kid that are no longer correct today.

When I was in school, we had nine planets in our solar system. All that has changed. I was disturbed when I learned that Pluto isn't really a planet!! Since I didn't like Science, I probably studied my heart out to get an "A" on a Science test that had something to do with Pluto!!

You know, it's sort of funny to me now but when I was younger, I didn't care at all about learning History, Geography or Science. I had to force myself. But I do care now. How did that happen? Last year was the first time I ever made myself sit down and read all of our Constitution and Declaration of Independence!

These old magazines have some of the most beautiful photographs and illustrations that I have seen anywhere. Many of them would even be suitable for framing!

One of the 1959 books even had a reprint article from the year 1900 that said "Don't let your Children read comic books, it will destroy their minds" I had to laugh. I always heard it was rock and roll that destroyed our minds....not comic books! I just had to share this part of my storage unit discovery with you. If you get a chance to read an old book or magazine....enjoy! Until next time, thanks for reading....Kat

No comments:

Post a Comment