Monday, February 23, 2009

How I Ended up With 2000 Old Books

Hi Ya'll,
I'm Kathy. I'm not a Katherine or Kathleen. Just Kathy. I'm a Tennessee country girl, raised by a tobacco farmer and still have the scars to prove it! Starting my life on a farm has helped me face many challenges that life has offered me. Every job I've ever held after working in a tobacco patch seemed pretty darn easy! My dad taught with strict authority and cutting sarcasm. So from that I learned not to mess up the same way twice! In fact, it caused me to think I had to be perfect....at everything!

Well, now that I'm almost 48 years old, and raised 3 kids of my own by myself, I not only gave up the idea of perfection, but have even learned to laugh at my mistakes (a little). I'll be sharing some of my mistakes as well as some of what I've learned along the way with you, dear blog audience.

Now, down to the details.....
I find myself rather suddenly, with 2000 books and several hundred old magazines to sell. My brother inherited these about 2 years ago when his 92 year old friend died and left him in her will. In fact, she left him the entire contents of her house, and in a separate location, she left him 115 acres of farmland!!

So why did he inherit but I am the one selling?
I thought he had already sold all the contents of her old house. But in January of this year, he told me he had rented a climate controlled storage unit just 10 minutes from my house to store the remaining things from her household goods. (My brother lives an hour away in a place called Bumpus Mills, TN. (They don't have any climate controlled storage in his little map dot town.) But I live in Clarksville, TN and it's a border town to the military base of Ft. Campbell, KY so there are plenty of storage companies here.

I think my brother mentioned it to me at this time because I became unemployed in October of last year and he knew I might have time to sell these things now. He's really being very sweet because he told me if I wanted to try to sell his stuff, I could keep the money myself if I sold anything. He hasn't had time to mess with any of it because he works a lot of overtime for TVA. The storage unit is costing him $105 per month. So it's a win/win for both of us if I can get these things sold.

Now in my farm girl imagination, I thought everyone who visits ebay couldn't wait to get their hands on all the treasures I would find in these 2000 books. (I'm unemployed so I have time to create all these listings on ebay.) I wasn't even considering the magazines. In my mind, I was only considering the fact that I have always loved books and so must everyone else! Boy was I dismayed!

This blog will be somewhat of a journal for me to keep online. You will get to see what I'm learning as I go...... about old books and about life itself.

I will offer books for sale or ideas to share as time goes by. If you'd like to be on my email list just fill out your name and email address above in the right column. If you have a question for me you can email me at kmorgan34@gmail.com

No comments:

Post a Comment