Thursday, February 26, 2009

The Oldest Oz Books

I'm happy to say that I just sold my two oldest Oz books. I removed them from the list of Oz books for sale in my right column. The lady who bought them said she wanted them because they are in public domain and she wanted to use the color plates in the books! I'm excited to see that even though the books were in such bad shape, someone can still find use for them. The two titles I sold were "The Scarecrow of Oz" and "Dorothy and the Wizard in Oz."

I checked to see about the later titles and they aren't in public domain yet. For those of you who haven't heard of it yet, public domain is pretty cool! Books that were published prior to 1923 are no longer copyright protected. (At least that's my understanding of it.) (And I might add here that I'm speaking about copyright laws in America because I don't know about copyright laws in other countries.) When a book is in public domain, that means it belongs to the public to use as they wish for projects or to change it slightly and republish it as their own! Lots of people have made several dollars by taking old books in public domain and making them their own. Some works that were published after 1923 can be in public domain too but there are many rules that apply so if you're thinking about using public domain you should really check with a copyright attorney to make sure you can obtain rights to an old work without being accused of infringement!

No comments:

Post a Comment